Thursday, March 31, 2005

Constantine

Note from future me: Well, I was kind of a dipshit twenty years ago. TLDR is I kind of liked the imagery but I hated the movie, which makes sense since this blog back then was all about tearing into movies I hated (often exaggerating the bile for comic effect, which...hasn't aged yet!). Except when I really liked them, I guess. All of these old reviews make me cringe when I look at them, but this one went a bit over the line.
 I intend to revisit this one soon-ish, which is why I got curious to see what I'd said about it. Hooboy. 

2 comments:

Viradu said...

I haven't seen it yet, but no-one so far has given me ANY positive feedback on that POS. You didn't mention, as a rabid Hellblazer fan told me, that John quits smoking and trades the nicotine for bubblegum. As far as I'm told, the blond Constantine of the comic book will never, ever, quit smoking. But I guess it's another social commentary... illegal aliens are evil, religious and demonic figures are gay, and... smoking is bad for ya.

R C said...

It's crap, but is worth it for couple of scenes - which makes it better by a whole lot than most movies of this style.

I didn't mention Hellblazer because this movie never pretends to be a faithful adaptation. I mean, they cast fucking Keanu Reeves as John Constantine...
*but*: the final confrontation with ol' man 666 himself is vintage Hellblazer and worth the price of admission in and of itself (too bad they chose to make the Devil so overtly gay, as opposed to Reeves' macho, autistic, closeted gay)

My main gripe with the scene you mention is that it would have been funny as hell if he had popped a cigarette after all that could have gone on before. But if I was to berate on this movie for missed opportunities, I'd never stop...